We are seeking an entry level Engineer to be based out of our Milwaukee office. This role will partner with other engineers, project managers, and QA inspectors on specified customer projects in the field.
We provide inspection and testing services during the construction of commercial structures such as buildings, stadiums and parking ramps. We also provide construction inspection services for bridge repairs and rehabilitations on an array of structures including bridges, culverts, locks and dams and various highway ancillary structures. We love our work. It’s an adventure and it matters.
- Performs in-service structural inspections on various types of structures, including bridges, ancillary highway structures, etc.
- Assists Team Leader in the preparation of reports for client submittals.
- Performs construction management activities for clients, such as the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
- Reviews drawings and engineering plans for compliance with applicable standards.
- Provides engineering oversight in the field for the completion of quality assurance inspections, analysis, and reporting.
- Reads and processes information from shop drawings and verifies/compares shop drawings to field conditions.
- Assists in client presentations and/or meetings.
- Assists with ensuring safety at the job site.
- Other responsibilities, as required / assigned.
- Minimum four year college degree from an accredited university in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or Construction Management.
- Minimum experience to include co-op or internship with construction inspection experience, and/or bridge inspection experience.
- Construction inspection experience which includes working with (WisDOT or similar) record keeping, creating Inspector Daily Records for contractor activities, verifying contractor materials used, etc.
- Ability to read and understand plans, specifications, and shop drawings.
- Physical ability to perform necessary inspection activities.
- Ability and willingness to work at heights and around traffic.
- Ability to work a 40-hour work week and to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to drive own vehicle to various job sites.
- Trips out of town to work at customer job sites or other locales may be required and may require overnight stays as necessary.
- Travel requirements will include the ability to drive a vehicle, fly in an airplane and/or take other conveyances such as bus or train, depending on the project location.
- A valid, current driver’s license with a good driving record is required. Ability to drive on behalf of the company is subject to the Company’s insurance carrier’s review of driving records.
- All employees who drive their personal vehicles on company business are expected to carry at least $300,000 of liability protection on their personal auto policy.
- PE certification is not required for this position.
- Experience with WisDOT related construction management programs and Bridge Inspection Programs desired.
- Ability to interact with contractors, and oversee contractor activities to ensure proper procedures are followed to applicable codes.
- Experience with Word and Excel required; experience with Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and modeling software is helpful.
- Experience using laptop, iPad, etc.
- Critical thinking skills – ability to use logic and reasoning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong sense of integrity and professional ethics.
- Ability to work in both office and non-office environments, including building construction job sites, on, under and around bridges, roadways, dams, and highways.
- Ability to speak, hear, sit, reach, bend, stoop, climb, balance, walk and stand for long periods, traverse uneven job site surfaces, lift or move up to 50 pounds with or without assistance, handle power tools, utilize various testing instruments, reach with hands/arms, crawl/walk into small spaces, maneuver over fences and up steep embankments, climb ladders/ascend heights, work at height on bridges and highway structures, climb into bucket truck lifts and be lifted bodily at heights above head height.
- Ability to tolerate working at heights is a requirement of this position.
- Ability to wear appropriate fall protection equipment.
- Ability to interpret engineering and construction plans.
- Vision abilities must include close and distance vision with or without correction, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to adjust and work in varied weather and temperature conditions, as well as dusty and noisy environments.
- Pre-employment drug test and background screen required
Competitive salary and benefits package includes:
- Excellent Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Company provided Life & Disability insurance
- 401K plan / Roth 401K with employer match
- Generous PTO and paid holidays
- Continual training
- Great company culture
Fickett Structural Solutions, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.
Questions? Call Betsy Larsen at 608.824.8098 or send her an email.