We are seeking a Structural Steel Inspector with both Nondestructive Testing (NDT) Level II (MT and UT) and CWI certification who will report to our Middleton, Wisconsin office.
We provide inspection and testing services during the fabrication and construction of buildings, bridges, locks and dams, and stadiums as well as in service inspections of bridges, dams and ancillary structures. This is a direct hire position, not a contractor role.
- Perform visual inspections (VT) and NDT of structural steel utilizing MT Yoke method and UT Shear Wave method as specified by design, shop, and as-built drawings, specifications, and applicable industry codes.
- Coordinates inspections and NDT with site project manager or responsible person in charge.
- Prepares timely, detailed reports of the inspection and testing results, including descriptions, drawings, photos, etc., of nonconforming details with deficiencies identified.
- Other responsibilities as required/assigned.
- 2-year technical degree in NDT or equivalent combination of training, knowledge, and on-the-job experience.
- Documented proof of experience/on-the-job-training to meet the Level II requirements to SNT-TC-1A.
- Must be able to successfully pass NDT Level II Certification to SNT-TC-1A and Fickett Structural Solutions’ internal certification requirements for MT and UT.
- Holds a current certificate as a Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) with D1.1 or D1.5 work experience or holds ICC Special Inspector Certifications in Structural Steel and Bolting and Structural Welding.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience with structural steel welding and bolting inspections, NDT. Is thoroughly familiar with the scope and limitations of the methods for which he/she is certified and is able to exercise assigned responsibility without direct supervision.
- Experience with Word and Excel required.
- Experience (previous employment or coursework) with Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) is useful but not required.
- Experience using various computer devices including laptops, iPads, tablets, etc. is required.
- Experience writing comprehensive reports is desired but not required.
- Ability to define and document problems, collect data, evaluate facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to read and understand plans, specifications, industry codes and shop drawings.
- Ability to drive company vehicle or own vehicle to various job sites.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong sense of integrity and professional ethics.
- Ability to work in office and project environments, such as construction job sites and fabrication shops.
- Ability to speak, hear, sit, reach, bend, stoop, climb, balance, walk and stand for long periods, traverse uneven job site surfaces, lift or move up to 50 pounds with or without assistance, handle power tools, utilize various testing instruments, reach with hands/arms, crawl/walk into small spaces, maneuver over fences and up steep embankments, climb ladders/ascend heights, and climb into various lifts.
- Ability to work at heights is a requirement of this position.
- Ability to wear appropriate fall protection equipment.
- Vision abilities must include close and distance vision with or without correction, color vision, depth perception, the ability to adjust focus and meet the minimum eye examination requirements of the AWS D1.1 code.
- Ability to adjust and work in varied weather and temperature conditions, as well as dusty and noisy environments.
Other Working Conditions:
- Ability to work a 40-hour work week; ability to work overtime as needed.
- Trips out of town to work at customer job sites or other locales may be required and may require overnight stays as necessary.
- Travel requirements will include the ability to drive a vehicle, fly in an airplane and/or take other conveyances such as bus or train, depending on the project location.
- A valid, current driver’s license with a good driving record is required. Ability to drive on behalf of the company is subject to the Company’s insurance carrier’s review of driving records.
- All employees who drive their personal vehicles on company business are expected to carry at least $300,000 of liability protection on their personal auto policy.
- Pre-employment drug testing and background screening required.
Competitive salary and benefits package includes:
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Company provided Life & Disability insurance
- 401K plan / Roth 401K with employer match
- Generous PTO and paid holidays
- Great company culture
Fickett Structural Solutions, Inc. is a structural engineering, inspection and testing firm with offices in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Washington.
Fickett Structural Solutions, Inc. is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please apply immediately by sending your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org